Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A long due post : Status Update

Hello reader,
Its been a fun filled month. After passing the mid evaluations(yay!), I started to fix the tests and complete the tiny bits left in the archiver interface. This was followed by cleaning the code, and catching exceptions that I missed out.
Once this was done, me and Florian had a meeting to decide what we wanted to do next, the MVP was complete, it was working fine(pending a bit of decision making at the core side), but now what next?
We had two ideas, both almost equally compelling for me : either extend our message queue system to include a publisher subscriber message pattern(go google that, its a fun concept), or to create an archiver side implementation to receive messages from the interface.
Florian left the decision up to me, and finally we selected the pub sub implementation as the next task.
Having a task at hand gets you working, excited! Thus I started, and found out that it required quite a remodelling at the mailman core side, particularly to change how the ListArchiver and ListArchiverSet models interact. Eventually I got stuck. I approached Florian, who was on a work trip at that time, and thus wasn't available. This gave me even more time to think about it on my own, and I started to come up with a solution. But then Florian got back, and I discovered that I had the wrong idea about what was expected to be implemented.
Once clarified, I figured out it was a fairly simple task given what wee had already made, and it was completed quite well in time.
Now, tests have been written, and its working fine. But wait for it, there's still that pending decision about changes in core side to be finalized. And I'd love to test the waters for the archiver side implementation.
Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment